Monday, July 26, 2010

A new way of life and a few questions

I am thinking of a change. I mentioned a while ago that I was looking for work, just a couple of days, to help out financially. I am applying for all part time jobs I can find but it seems they might be a little scarce - or they are not to keen on hiring someone who has had so much time away from the workforce.

So......

I am thinking of starting my own thing. A business that I can use my photography to create small 'art' items like individual prints, fridge magnets, bookmarks and maybe working some of my aromatherapy into the mix.

It is taking a while to get my head around this process. Even though I have had a few photos do quite well in competitions and had a few different people say I should use my photography as a business I kind of feel like I am faking it. I was talking to someone about this and it came up in discussion that if I started a venture that meant my 'full time' job was using my photography, editing and creating 'art pieces' that would make me an independant artist of sorts. I'm just not sure......

Does it have to be on a canvas and hung in a museum to qualify as art? Or can seing a photo that you took on a bookmark that you created be your art? Although there are different mediums, painter, sculptor, digital artist - is the common thread that we are all creators?

I would love to know what you all think as I try really hard to embrace this part of my life to pubically acknowledge my passion and hopefully turn it into some sort of venture!

An artist is a dreamer consenting to dream of the actual world.
George Santayana



* Also if anyone could help me and let me know how you can make buttons for things (ie;sponsers) on the blog that would be great! I have no idea and don't really understand the whole code thing. Thank you *

2 comments:

Lexi:: PottyMouthMama said...

You could always have commercial photos, and non - commercial photos. So use some for your bookmarks, magnets etc and keep the others.. That's what I think some artists do. You have your art, and then your commercial art too.

I have no idea how to make buttons, wish I could help!

bobby said...

To me, it's art if it evokes emotion. Whether it doubles as a bookmark or other item, that doesn't negate the emotion the piece generates.

Love the George Santayana quote btw - I hadn't heard it before =)