As you know I am in the midst of pursuing my artistic/money making ventures and looking for possible work. In the last three weeks I have put in probably 25 resumes. I was looking at my cover letter and resume last night - trying to see if I could jazz it up - and something occurred to me - To explain the gap in my employment, from when I left work until now, which is when I have been a SAHM.......I just have an excuse. It goes something like ' As you will see there is a slight gap in my employment history blah,blah,blah'.
I was thinking ( which is always an issue) being a mum is my greatest achievement and also the most difficult thing I have ever done in my life. Maybe I should detail it like I would any other position in my employment record. After all, I have learnt numerous skills and widened my knowledge base immensely during the last four years (I left work when I was pregnant as I worked in a high risk job and had a high risk pregnancy).
Maybe something like this.
Stay at home mother 2006 - current
* Hostage negotiator - successfully negotiated the return of car keys, iPhone, laptop and pet dog.
* Resident cook - I have the ability to cook a wide variety of meals for just one meal time and also the patience to wait out anyone from 3 years old to 35 years old if they wont eat their nutrient laden food.
* Financial wizard - I have the skills to stretch a budget as far as the eye can see as well as actually pay all bills without having money! Who knew?
* Zen master - I am calm in a crisis - including public tantrums, removing children from various barricaded situations, etc.
* Extreme work ethic - Because of my current position I have the ability to work 7 days a week, 365 days a year whilst only sleeping anywhere from 30 minutes to six hours per night.
* Rally Driver _ I posses the ability to drive for hours on end in a rural community in order to get said child to sleep.
* Conflict resolution - I posses the ability to solve conflict between a 3 year old and 35 year old as well as numerous other people. I am not concerned about race, religion, personal issues I have the ability (and the wine) to make them get along.
I don't mean to suggest that those who do not have children are any different to those who do. I am just starting to see that i did not spend the last four years in a fog of mushy food and bad nursery rhymes - I actually have used my skills and knowledge and definitely developed new ones.
There is a CEO position out there for me....don't you think?