Monday, November 9, 2009

Summer's back with a vengeance!

The weather here this week is all above 35 degrees - considering if it gets above 25 I start melting like the wicked witch I think myself and the madam will be spending a fair amount of the day indoors. In this weather I always try to get out and about early and then 'do a twilight' and avoid the sun later - I love the food of summer - the salads, mangoes, strawberries but I don't actually 'do summer' well. I constantly look like I am freaked out (even when I am actually pretty calm) - glamorous just isn't in my nature.

A while ago now my job for a couple of years was to teach school of the air on sheep stations - I was a governess. I was in the outback 200kms south of Coober Pedy - on days like today it would be about 45 degrees up there. It's funny but the heat didn't really bother me up there. I don't know if it is just because it is a dry kind of heat (if that makes sense) or if it was just that you are up there with no option of avoiding it so you deal with it better.

The first station I was on I only had one student and on the hot days we used to take some school work into the cool room. They had a big meat locker cool room because when you are so far away everything is stored in bulk, so there we would be reading and writing in a meat locker - kept us cool though.

Anyway...maybe being at home as made me a bit precious. This week will definately be a week of trying to keep the house cool - especially because the Mr is working outside all week - and dare I say a few indoor activities for the madam and I .

Stay cool or warm - whereever you are on the planet xx

No comments: