Thursday, February 11, 2010

Is it just easier this way?



This is from here
what a beautiful art project.......

Yesterday Vic wrote a post that really got me thinking....is it easier to exist in an online world than it is in ' real life'? Parts of what she wrote rang true for me, I am more than happy if I'm on my own - I was like that as a kid and I'm like that now - although I am lucky in the sense I have a great group of friends that put up with my idiosyncrasies. I do like people but I can often get way too bogged down in 'doing the right thing' and sometimes just find it easier to be the madam and I.

I also didn't seem to find the solace or camaraderie in mothers group that people seem too. I did make a really good friend through it but we have stayed friends even though I left - she is lovely and is another one that understands that I don't constantly need to be around people. I love my daughter and yes she rules my world but I don't want to sit and talk about her all day! We are also not in the financial situation that seemed to be required for mothers group! If you know what I mean.

But then I was thinking that I don't really find or hear about any sort of 'social pressure' with blogging. Is it because we get to exist on our own terms? What I mean is - you guys aren't going to freak out if I don't turn up one day or if everything I own comes from the oppy. If I read a different book, try my hand at a million creative things until I find the one that fits, make a list after list and only accomplish a little I wont be thrown into the lions den of social judgement.

Is it easier to open our hearts and our lives on line because if we get a response we don't like we can hit delete?

I am not saying this is a good or a bad thing. I love being a blogger. It has forced me to come out and try new things, think about new adventures, consciously parent more than before,etc, etc and most importantly I have met a myriad of brilliant people. I am sure some of us will get to sit down over a coffee or a wine one day and some of us wont but I will always still appreciate and love how the blog world is such a collection of creative, funny, wonderful souls.

2 comments:

mermaid gallery said...

Bloggers are a special bunch...creative, open and adventurous. I'm sure most are loners at heart or where the heck would we get the time. It's fun to just send it out there and see what happens!

Kellyansapansa said...

Personally I think the online world can enhance the real one, and vice versa. For me anyway, they each fill gaps in the other.